#2 - Products
Stefan Schubert-Peters was my first ever manager in Germany. Stefan has made the journey from working as a programmer into becoming a product manager and finally now a head of product. He has a sharp analytical mind that has spent a lot of time thinking about product development. In this podcast it’s my pleasure to talk to him regarding the roles of the software engineer, the product manager and the manager. About how they work together to create products and his thoughts on what’s important in that process.
- 00:00 - Introduction
- 04:00 - Where did the interest in product development come from?
- 07:00 - Tech vs Product in the organization
- 14:13 - Complexity of product development now and in the past.
- 19:29 - What trait is needed to create
- 24:10 - Working in product and entrepeneurship
- 27:43 - What’s important for the product manager’s role?
- 35:00 - The Manager’s role
- 41:40 - What’s the right mindset?
- 46:50 - Principles
- 53:45 - Adaptability
- 57:00 - The tools of the Product Manager
- 1:00:00 - De-risking
- 1:04:50 - Deciding what’s valuable
- 1:09:00 - The IPod
- 1:18:00 - What’s a good software engineer?
- 1:27:00 - Engineers should be leaders
- 1:29:50 - Time to think